LOS ANGELES–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Herbalife (NYSE:HLF), a global nutrition company, applauds its sponsored athletes and teams around the world for their accomplishments over the past three months, including medals at the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, world records, championships and advanced league rankings. Herbalife Nutrition supports more than 200 teams and athletes globally.
“Herbalife’s mission is to help people around the world live healthy, active lives, and these outstanding athletes are an inspiration to us all, showing us what can be achieved through hard work and dedication,” said Michael O. Johnson, chairman and CEO, Herbalife. “We are proud to fuel their performance with our endurance, hydration and recovery nutrition products.”
Herbalife Nutrition-sponsored athletes and teams have recently received the following accolades:
• International soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo, an Herbalife Nutrition-sponsored athlete since 2013, has been named the most famous athlete in the world by ESPN and won three major awards this summer – the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Golden Boot for being the leading goalscorer in league matches from the top division of every European national league and the only athlete to have won the Golden Boot four times. He also won the 2015/16 UEFA Best Player in Europe Award after leading Real Madrid to a first-place finish in the UEFA Champions League, as well as leading his home country of Portugal to the UEFA Euro 2016 championship for the first time ever.
• The LA Galaxy has clinched a spot in the 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs that begins Oct. 26. Herbalife Nutrition is the presenting sponsor and Official Nutrition Partner of the LA Galaxy, which is currently in third place in the MLS Western Conference standings.
• At the Rio 2016 Olympics and Paralympic Games, Herbalife Nutrition sponsored the Italian, Indian, Israeli and Costa Rican National Olympic Committees and supported more than 50 athletes. Herbalife Nutrition-sponsored Olympian athletes won a total of 40 medals in gymnastics, swimming and track and field while Paralympians from more than 16 countries garnered 51 medals.
Additional sports achievements from Herbalife Nutrition sponsored athletes and teams include:
• Heather Jackson, a U.S. triathlete, secured first place finishes in races at Chattanooga, Tenn., and Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, before setting a new course record in July at the Ironman Lake Placid, N.Y. Jackson placed third in the 2016 Ironman World Championship on Oct. 8 in Kona, Hawaii. Jackson was one of the 80,000-plus athletes who competed for the more than 2,000 available starting slots at the elite event.
• Virat Kohli, an Indian international cricketer, ranked first in the International Cricket Council’s T20 rankings and second in its ODI. ESPN ranked him as the eighth most famous athlete in the world.
• Ajax, a Dutch professional football club, is currently second in the Eredivisie standings, the highest echelon of professional football in the Netherlands.
Herbalife Nutrition-sponsored athletes use Herbalife products before, during and after training and games. As part of its ongoing commitment to improving sports nutrition and performance, Herbalife Nutrition launched Herbalife24 CR7 Drive in collaboration with Cristiano Ronaldo, a sports drink designed specifically to meet the nutritional needs of the global soccer legend and benefit athletes of all levels.